May 01, 2023
What is new wine?
Vino novello is a grape-based alcoholic drink that is produced and consumed in Italy during the autumn season. It is a type of young and fresh red wine which is put on the market a few weeks after the grape harvest.
The history of new wine
The production of new wine is an Italian tradition that dates back to the 80s of the twentieth century. The first time the new wine was marketed was in 1984 and since then it has become one of the most popular drinks in Italy during the autumn. The new wine is closely linked to the celebrations of the Novello, or the new wine festival held every year on November 6th.
The production of new wine
The new wine is produced using grapes of different varieties, mainly Sangiovese, Barbera and Merlot. After harvesting, the grapes are pressed and the must is fermented. The fermentation process is interrupted before completion in order to preserve a good quantity of natural sugars and to give the new wine its characteristic sweet and fruity flavour.
Characteristics of the new wine
The new wine is characterized by a bright and vivid red colour. On the nose, fruity and floral notes can be perceived, while on the palate it is sweet and slightly sparkling. The alcohol content of the new wine is relatively low, around 12% vol.
How to serve new wine
The new wine is a very versatile drink that goes perfectly with light and tasty dishes such as cured meats, cheeses and appetizers. In general, the new wine is served slightly chilled, at a temperature of around 12-14°C.
New wine and health
New wine contains natural antioxidants that can help prevent cellular aging and protect against cardiovascular disease. However, it is important to remember that alcohol consumption should always be moderate and responsible.
Where to buy new wine
The new wine is available for purchase online on Bottle of Italy or directly from the producing cellars. Explore all the Novelli wines available in our online wine shop by clicking here.
The new wine is a drink appreciated throughout Italy during the autumn. Its sweet and fruity flavor makes it a perfect choice to accompany the typical dishes of the season. However, it is important to remember to consume new wine with moderation and responsibility.
- What is the difference between new wine and normal wine? Novello wine is a young and fresh wine that is put on the market a few weeks after the harvest, while normal wine is a wine that has undergone a longer aging period, which can vary from a few months to several years.
- What are the grapes used to produce new wine? The grapes used to produce the new wine are mainly Sangiovese, Barbera and Merlot.
- What is the ideal temperature for serving new wine? The new wine is served slightly chilled, at a temperature of about 12-14°C.
- Is new wine a light alcoholic drink? The alcohol content of the new wine is relatively low, around 12% vol.
- Where can I buy new wine? The new wine can be bought directly from the producing cellars and is available online on Bottle of Italy by clicking here.